Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Grandpa



My grandpa died a couple of months ago, just before Thanksgiving. He died of a heart attack. He was a wonderful man and I will always remember him as the kindest, most generous person I have ever known. I don't think he ever said an unkind word about anyone.

I wrote about our experience traveling for the funeral in "Mad About Multiples," the blog for Gemini Crickets, our parents of multiples club. I hope to write more for them in the future.

I took the boys to the funeral and Dave stayed behind at home to take care of a few urgent household matters. With last minute booking, it took two flights to get there and two flights to get back. It was just me and 2 two-year-old boys. The boys were amazing through all the flights! I felt so empowered!


My grandpa was a twin. His twin brother was affectionately referred to as "Uncle Papa" by my mother, aunts, and uncles, and "Uncle Grandpa" to many of my cousins and me. He once ran for Justice of the Peace and I recall going door to door to campaign when I was quite young (I think about 12?).

He worked hard all of his life. He didn't want to stop. He was a CPA and a very good one. He was also in the military during WWII. I love reading the letters he wrote to my grandma when he was away, and the notes he wrote to my mother when she was a baby.


He and Uncle Grandpa entertained us all with their singing. A family favorite is the way Grandpa and Uncle Grandpa sung "Jingle Bells" as "Dee Do Bah." Grandpa was in many choirs through the years. He collapsed at a rehearsal with one of them. I most remember his performances with the Utah Chorale, Swanee Singers, and the Utah Symphony Chorus. One of my favorite Christmas traditions was to attend the Messiah Sing-in at Symphony Hall when Grandpa's chorus was performing.

He is missed.

1 comment:

Barb said...

I'm sorry Lizzy. :( I understand that loss.