Friday, March 27, 2009

Cute "ee" words

When we want to make something sound cute, give a nickname, or shorten a word for fun, we often add the "ee" sound at the end. For example, children get the "ee" sound applied to the end of their names or a version of their names. That's how I became Lizzy, which I prefer much better than "Liz." Besides, my name is spelled "Elisabeth" so it should be "Lis" but few people recognize that, in which case maybe I'm really "Lissy." I really don't know why so many people insist on calling me "Liz," though. That name just doesn't suit me. But I digress. Back to my subject. Boys named Robert become "Bobby" or "Robby." Some people ask me if our William is a "Willy" or a "Billy." Nope, he's "Wiggles."

Sometimes we apply the cutesy sound to normal words, like "cutesy." They do this a lot in Britain. They say "cozzy" or "swimming cozzy" for "swimming costume," or as we Americans would say, "swimsuit."

Other words are just made with that "ee" sound at the end, but they sound cute, too. Words such as "monkey," "bibliography," and "lobotomy" all have their charm. The word "economy" even starts and ends with that "ee" sound, though for some reason that word isn't as much fun, especially not lately. Maybe using the "ee" as a sandwich is like a double negative, the "ee" at the beginning cancels out the cute "ee" at the end.

That's why I find it funny that the word "body" sounds cute, especially when combined with the word "dead." I know it's a bit perverse. That's why it's funny. There's another word, "funny." Funny honey. Sweetie.

Other funny cute "ee" words:
Floozy
Hairy
Meaty
Testy
Testes
Menses
Tiny
Smeggy
Jiggly
Wiggly
Rinky dinky
Flimsy
Sticky
Nippy
Flossy
Glossy
Sloppy
Bossy
Needy
Frenzy
Mini
Nitty gritty
Stinky
Smelly
Okey dokey
Smokey

And my personal favorite, "zombie."

2 comments:

Lisa said...

I suspect you are a bit sleep deprived. LOL!

Personally for me, I like words that end in "iboo" as in Cariboo, Malibu and bubbleiboo. Okay, so I made that last one up, but it's sure fun to say!

I also like the word verification word I got this time...plogesh. Makes me think of oxen in rice paddies.

karenf said...

You forgot the British term, which I personally am still on the fence whether to like it or not..
Prezzie (present)

Cute post.