Tuesday, November 18, 2008

What a week - or two!


The last week has been rough. Dave got the lurgy that has been going around at his work. Of course, everyone there has had it or has it and nobody takes sick days so they pass it around. Dave included. In a way they think they're heroes for sticking it out and getting the job done even though they feel like crap. Most of it, though, is that they don't want to waste their precious days off being home sick when they can use them for a better purpose, to travel.

With Dave sick it meant I didn't get much of a break from the boys. I'm not really complaining, it is just hard work and I've been very busy and very tired. Poor Dave, feeling as crappy as he did, helped in whatever ways he could. We were both too nervous to have him handle the babies because they are still under 2 months old. Our pediatrician warned us that if the boys develop a fever before they are 2 months old then the testing would be invasive and include a spinal tap, just to be safe. We'd rather be safe and keep these boys in a bubble, but since we can't do that, we just try to keep the germs away the best that we can. When Dave did need to handle them, he washed his hands well and wore a mask. Again, poor Dave. That mask irritated his skin and made it difficult for him to breathe, and he got very little precious time with his little guys.

The boys are 8 weeks today, though, and just days away from 2 months! Dave's also feeling much better now.

I'm finally feeling more like myself. When they say it takes at least 6 to 8 weeks to recover from a c-section, that is very true in my case. I still have a lot of nerve damage (me and my nervous system, joy of joys) and have odd sensations when anything touches below my belly button. I occasionally feel jabs of pain as the nerves remap. Fortunately, the area was numb due to the nerve damage until just a few weeks ago. That didn't mean I had no pain, but all the times the doctors and nurses had to touch the incision, I didn't feel it much.

The cloth diapering isn't going very well. That's another post to come, since it has been quite the story. Essentially, they were way too big for the boys until recently. Now that they fit, I was excited to use nothing but cloth diapers the other day and it went really well, at least until both boys developed the worst diaper rash I'd ever seen! I'm not giving up just yet. Once they've recovered from the rashes I'll try again, starting with one a day for a few days, then two, then three, and so on. If that fails, I'd like to try gDiapers. Dave still is adamant against using any cloth diapers we need to launder ourselves and he's on the fence about gDiapers. I'm also looking into elimination communication as an alternative.

We took the babies on their first trip to Grandma's house on Sunday. We were only there for about 4 hours but it took us all weekend to prepare. I caught up on laundry and Dave got the car cleaned and fueled. Dave packed our diaper bag as well as a car "spare" bag just in case we got stuck overnight (the car isn't in the best shape and doesn't have a heater). I bought some warm fleecy outfits for the little guys (with all the baby clothes we had, we had nothing that warm for 0-3 months). It took us 4 hours to get ready for the day and we got to her house an hour later than planned.

Jack and Chris were there and Jack took loads of pictures of the boys. I can't wait to see them. Jack has such a way about him that he, again, made me feel comfortable enough to bare pink parts and breastfeed in front of him. I just think that breastfeeding these guys is such a beautiful thing. I love looking at William's and Ronan's faces as they nurse. Dave took a lot of photos, too.

Daniel prepared us a nice lunch and we felt very spoiled. Before we knew it, it was time to drive home. It was a good dry run for Thanksgiving.

The boys have their 2-month pediatrician appointment soon and they'll get shots. I'm not looking forward to it. I'm sure it will hurt me more than it hurts them.

Feedings at night are getting so much better. I've now been nursing them throughout the night and they are actually sleeping a good 5-6 hour stretch (nearly 7 hours a couple of times) several nights a week. Sadly, sometimes they do their long stretches opposite each other. We are pretty strict about our night-time routine, though, and usually get that long stretch from 11pm until 4-5am.

I'm still tired.

1 comment:

Me said...

I loooovvvveee this pic of you and the boys!