Thursday, August 21, 2008

I had a baby shower!!!


For years and years I went to many baby showers in my family. They were fun and a wonderful way to get the women of the family together. I moved away from Utah before my friends there started having babies and showers. Showers with friends are quite different from the family showers and are also good fun.

At the family showers, the main topic of conversation was labor and delivery nightmare stories. I knew which cousin had the cord around his neck 3 times and which aunt experienced 72 hours of labor. Sometimes it was too much and scared me about ever having children. I once asked if we could go an hour without having those stories at a shower and one of my aunts replied, "when it's your shower, sure!" I always looked forward to my own shower.

My shower was Saturday, August 9th. Nearly 2 weeks ago (I've been a terrible blogger). It was wonderful! One of the games was the "verboten word game" where people are forbidden from saying certain words. The verboten words were "baby" and "labor," which essentially prohibited the guests from scaring me about having these babies (trust me, I'm scared enough of the way they may exit my body). I know they will have to leave my belly at some point, and that day is coming soon, I'm just not really thrilled about the method. I'm hoping for the good old-fashioned method over a c-section, but the biggest fear I have is that one will come the old-fashioned way and the other will come via c-section. Ouch!

Either way, though, I will be happy to have both babies come at the right time and be healthy. Oh, and I'd like to come out of it all pretty healthy, too.

The other games were creative, too, and we all were well entertained. Corinne was a wonderful hostess and I'm very grateful to her for it. She had some back pain through the day and I know that it wasn't always easy for her to put on the smile and take care of everyone as she did. She was a true hero that day

I also have to express my gratitude to Karen (KarenF on my comments) and my mom who provided a wonderful array of food for everyone.

Stephanie and Rachel also contributed in many ways - games, prizes, planning, and the best cake I've had in ages

So a big thank-you to Corinne, Rachel, Stephanie, Karen, and my mom. A big thanks also to everyone who attended and a huge thanks for all the wonderful generous gifts.

4 comments:

karenf said...

yeah, there was salad, believe it or not, but it didn't get out of the fridge. We did eat it here at home, and now the hubby wants me to get it all the time.

It won't be so bad, in the delivery mean, OK it will be, but you will live, and the babies will be there, safe and sound. You forget the experience sooner or later, like now, almost three years later, Will has to tell ME what it was like, I don't remember!

That day was fun, I'm glad you had a good time. It was a success!

Barb said...

That picture is ADORABLE! Glad you had a good time. :)

claire said...

wish i could have been there

Panamahat said...

Congrats on the baby shower!