Sunday, July 20, 2008

Infant care class

Dave and I are taking our classes this weekend. It's a bit tough to do it the way we planned, but at least we're getting it done. I just wish I had signed up to take these a month or two ago. I would have been more comfortable spending an entire day, actually 2 days, in classes.

Today we took the infant care class. While there were a lot of things we already "knew" (as much as you can know without full experience), we also learned quite a lot. It was nice to see pictures of what is normal in infants and what is not normal, and to know what to do in either case. We also got to practice swaddling, which Dave and I had a bit of a giggle at because these dolls are so rigid and we had so little room, we weren't so good at it.

I had a few contraction issues and nearly went over threshold. They are now sometimes getting so strong that I feel like I could faint; they really knock the wind out of me and make me feel like I'm being strangled, that full feeling in the head and everything.

I was very pleased at the cloth diaper focus there. They covered the benefits of both kinds of diapers but the cloth still seemed to come out ahead. The dolls also had cloth diapers and we got to practice using them a little.

Tomorrow is the child birth class. I'm afraid that class won't be as informative or beneficial to us as today's class. If we were having one baby, it would be more useful, but with twins, we have kind of resigned ourselves to accepting what may come. Our main goal is for the 3 of us (obviously the boys and me) come out of it as healthy as possible. We have our ideas of what we'd like to do, but it will really boil down to what needs to be done.

No comments: