Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Barnes & Noble makes a statement


In my last post I mentioned a trip to Barne's & Noble. Part of this trip required a post all on its own. I was with Rachel and thought it would be funny to show her the religious section. I often like to look at this section because I find it interesting what books are there depending on what's going on in the world. A few months after The Da Vinci Code book was released, there were at least 5 books on these shelves that were written as a response to that one work of fiction. I also recall some books about how evil the Harry Potter series is.

It seems the big deal of today is the polygamy angle, a subject in which I am quite familiar. This section changes with the times, and I always find it interesting to see what the big fervor of the day is.

As we approached the section, Rachel started laughing and then apologized to me because she didn't want my feelings hurt. She knows I am religious and to many people that are not religious, they seem to think all religious people are a lot the same and take offense at the same things. Not me, though. As I've mentioned in this blog before, I think religion and spirituality are very personal things, and well, I can take a joke as much as the next guy.

What was so funny? Well, I also found it hilarious!!! There was a Religious Fiction section and it was filled with Bibles. The shelf directly across from it was the Religion section and it was full of the Koran/Qu'Ran. Someone was trying to make a statement, that's for sure. It was really funny. Granted, there was a shelf dedicated specifically to Bibles and it was also full of Bibles. It looked like the ones in the Religious Fiction section were either put there as some sort of a statement, or maybe put there because the Bible section ran out of room so the rest of the Bibles were put on the next shelf with available space. Nevertheless, it made a great photo.

Dave and I went to our local B&N the next day for another book and I took a look at their Religious Fiction section. There wasn't a Bible on any of those shelves. They were all sorted in their appropriate locations.

2 comments:

(^oo^)my bad girl (^oo^) said...

Feel good......

Barb said...

Craziness!

Um.. weird poster above.

Anyway, I value your opinion on all things fertility. Do you think you could pop over and check out my "angst" post with me levels? Maybe you have an idea?