Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Another miracle! (and another 2ww)

So, the word of today is WOW!!!

We went to the 2nd ultrasound today. I saw NP Engracia at the REI clinic. The REI clinic keeps success cases around until about week 10 before graduating their patients off to their OB. Today is 8 weeks and 4 days and was supposed to be my last visit to the REI, for this baby at least. After this appointment I was to "graduate" from their care and into the care of my OB. Well, that didn't happen and that's good news because...

The lost twin survives! After Engracia showed us many views of our little "gummy bear" I asked her to take a look at the lost twin. I had a small idea or maybe a hope that there was going to be a heartbeat there. It was just a slight inkling that I was trying to push out of my mind, because my greater senses told me I was expecting a singleton.

Engracia said, "well look at this - there is a heartbeat!" I have to admit that a part of me was really hoping for this, but certainly not expecting it. I was really shocked, amazed, scared, and delighted all at the same time! The look on Dave's face was unforgettable.

So that's the good news! Baby #2 measures right on target, just like baby#1! The bad news, well, it could be bad news, is that baby #2 has a very small and squished gestational sac and we might still lose him/her. Engracia wants to see me back in 2 weeks and she said that if things look good then, I can "graduate" and that it will be very likely that we will graduate with twins. She said the real test will be making it to 14 weeks - that's 5.5 weeks from now.

All we can do is hope and pray at this point and I'll continue doing my best to eat well, stay hydrated, rest, avoid running/jumping/etc. and continue the supplements.

So, enough about me, on to something and someone else. My cousin little Cohen is in surgery today having his tumor removed. Please join me in praying for him and his family.

7 comments:

Babe* said...

Wonderful news!! I'm not only praying for the twins but also for your cousin.

Aarrrgghh not another 2ww!!

kaaron said...

That is wonderful news!!!!!

Barb said...

prayers & WOW!

I really like that name.. Cohen.

Daisy said...

WOW!!!! I'm so excited for you! Best wishes in the next 5.5 wks.

Freyja said...

WOOT! WOOT!

Janna said...

That's wonderful news Lizzy!! Hoping and praying baby #2 gets stronger and stronger!!

Janna said...

Keeping your cousin in my prayers!!