Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Heartbeat!

I've been negligent in posting. I've been tired, which is a very good sign! I also haven't been very moved lately. The news is filled with the same old political nonsense. I've grown bored of it. This morning I checked my e-mail to see a CNN alert about Castro's stepping down. Now that's news! I turned on the tv to get more information and CNN, HNN, and all the other channels were more interested in what Obama had to say or in this device they are using on people's heads and tracking brain waves while they watch the latest Hillary Clinton advertisement. Oh, and HNN was going on about a poll they took about whether or not their viewers trusted Britney Spears' family! Sheesh! So, I went to CNN.com and the top story was about how we MAY have to pay extra in plane fares IF Delta and Northwest airlines merge. Okay, do they not get it that Castro's news is BIG NEWS and that the election or what MAY or MAY NOT happen is not news or old news (old news - an oxymoron)? And come on, why is Britney even in the news? Who really gives a flying *&@&? It wasn't until much later in the morning when the news networks finally caught on that people really wanted to hear more about what is going on in Cuba.

I've always wanted to go to Cuba.

Okay, so here I am going on and on about world news and you're probably wondering why I am not sharing my big news. Yes, we have BIG NEWS but not on a grand global scale. It's just global to me and many friends and family members. You all know that this has been a very long and difficult journey for us, so today's news is wonderful. We have a heartbeat! We went to our first prenatal ultrasound - which, btw, I've graduated to the prenatal level and my doctor appointments are free (no copay)! So, I'm 6w4d and the baby measures 6w2d, which is very good! My estimated due date is October 10, 2008. He/she will be a Libra. As if that matters. Sadly, there was a second gestational sac but that baby didn't make it this far. So, we are very happy to be having 1 baby! We are really glad we decided to transfer 3 embryos, especially now. There were times we were afraid of having all 3, but would have been happy to do so if that were the situation. Some people had me afraid that all 3 would implant and split, giving us sextuplets!

We are very very happy with the one. They were all so sweet at the REI (Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility) clinic. I've been seeing them there for nearly 2 years and have appreciated their kindness and support through all of that time. Every person at that clinic is exemplary in their professions and I'm going to miss them - but I'm so happy to be graduating out of their care. I'll see them again sometime next year when we transfer our snowbabies.

I don't have many of the typical symptoms. I have my sleepy days, which are increasing. I still get the cramps, which can be quite bad, but I'm told are normal. They feel different from menstrual cramps - more like being punched in the guts. I'm happy to have them as they remind me that good things are in the works. I've had some nausea but that comes mostly with the cramps so I think it's less morning sickness and more due to the pain of the cramp. My boobs do hurt, but again, they are happy reminders of good things in the making. I haven't vomited, yet. Maybe acupuncture is helping that. Food doesn't appeal to me, but that's nothing new for me.

I've been cutting down the acupuncture in an effort to wean myself off of it. I'm afraid to stop it cold-turkey because I believe it is keeping some things in my body in balance. If nothing else, it's incredibly relaxing and a great stress-reducer. Still, I know that if done improperly it can cause uterine contractions, which at this time are not good. I trust Robert, but I also trust my instincts, and my instincts are telling me to slowly wind down to once a month.

I miss my baths. Dave still doesn't want me having a bath and he's probably right. Even though I've been told warm baths under 99-100 degrees are fine, I know I have a tendency to push the heat and I might just not be satisfied with a bath unless it's scalding. So, I'll stick to short showers - but I confess that I still like the heat. I am trying to go easy on it, really easy. My foot bath is great and I really enjoy that, especially when I'm having jacuzzi withdrawals.

I'm still organic as far as bath products are concerned. My skin is clearer and I feel better for it, physically and mentally. The baby's reproductive organs are forming now and parabens affect that specifically so I'm proud that I know I'm doing what I can so that this baby has every chance at good health (reproductive or otherwise).

I can't wait to talk to Dave some more to see how excited he is getting. He has been cautiously optimistic so far. I think he really needed this ultrasound for it to sink in. I did.

10 comments:

Mrslady1975 said...

Congrats on seeing that beautiful heartbeat. I am really happy for you and Dave. I am really very sorry to hear about the other yolk sac though. I hope that the cramps go away soon and you can enjoy your pregnancy. {{{HUGS}}}

Baby Step said...

That is so wonderful that you saw the heartbeat. I am so happy for you!!!

kaaron said...

Hooray for seeing the heartbeat! Am so happy for you.

Wendy said...

I'm so glad the you got to see the heartbeat! Congratulations, Lizzy. I'm so happy for you and your DH!

Daisy said...

Congrats sweetie!!!

Babe* said...

I am so happy for you and dh. Congrats on seeing the heartbeat.

I pray that you have a happy and healthy pregnancy.

Norah said...

I have waiting for a new post! I guess this one was well worth the wait. Congrats : )

WaterBishop said...

Congrats on the heartbeat! I am so excited.

karenf said...

fantastic! wonderful news.

Barb said...

YAY FOR THE HEARTBEAT! I agree with you on the news. ugh