Friday, February 1, 2008

254 - the most beautiful # ever!

The last month has gone by so slowly. It's been a series of waits, and shots, and ultrasounds, and more waits. Well, one big huge wait is over! The beta HCG is 254! That's a very good healthy number! It means that I'm pregnant!

I'll get another blood test on Monday to check the doubling rate. After that, the first ultrasound will be around February 18th.

Dave took me to the hospital for the blood test around 8am. We were told that if we went to this particular hospital, our clinic could have the results in as little as an hour. We got home around 8:45 and then started the longest 2 hours of my life, or so it seemed.

The wonderful ladies at LoungePlace kept me company as I'm grounded - Betsy (my car) isn't working so well - needs a new clutch, a smog certificate, and current tags. So, to help pass the time I took a lovely shower and enjoyed the new paraben-free products. I used Dr. Bronner's Pepermint Soap and the smell was lovely and the tingling really awoke my senses. After the shower, I used some organic "fresh mint" body lotion and was really feeling quite good and relaxed, all things considered.

And then the phone rang!

I stared at it knowing that by that time the clinic may have received my results already. I watched the caller ID and all it said was "Unknown Caller." Sometimes calls from my clinic say that. I thought for sure it was them. My heart was pounding and I prepared myself for the news - knowing that either way my world was going to be rocked.

"Hello?" I answered. There was silence on the other end, then a click, and a woman asked for me by name. Obviously this was an autodialer but not wanting to believe it, I thought maybe it is someone I don't know calling from the clinic. I said, "speaking." The woman on the other end introduced herself as calling from the Obama for America Campaign. I interrupted her and told her that I've already received one call from their campaign (I'm not even a registered Democrat - I'm registered "decline to state") and thanks for her call, but I'd already spoken to a representative. She said, "so then we can count on your contribution?" The first time they called they asked for my vote, now they want my money? Last month alone they raised over $32 million dollars. They don't need my money. I told her that I really was not in a position to donate. She said that was no problem, that she had my mailing address and was going to send me the donation form anyway and count on my pledge. I told her NO WAY, that I am not in a position to donate to them NOW or LATER. I was soooooo pissed.

The call had me trembling, literally!

Anyway, I tried to relax and wait. I waited some more. I finally couldn't wait any longer so I called Anne, my IVF coordinator and asked her. She looked it up and said it came in about 10 minutes prior and that it was.... 254! She said it so quietly I asked her to repeat it. The second time I heard it well, but I wanted to hear it again and again. :)

She said that this "discomfort" I'm feeling is quite normal, that my ovaries have swollen up and have dropped. She said for every follicle I had (last count was 12 or 13 plus cysts) that they were working well to feed the baby (or babies?) and that it will feel like rocks in there. Yup, that's how it feels. It feels like every time I cough I'm going to push an ovary out of my vagina or bum. Sorry for the TMI but that's the way it is.

Now that I know that the feeling I have is from pregnancy and not from the worst biggest mother of a period ever, I can try to relish it and appreciate that I feel something.

Thank you, everyone, for your sweet comments here and for your support and prayers. I feel so warmed and loved. I know that He was listening.

9 comments:

Hummingbird said...

I am tearing up, I am so happy for you! Enjoy it!

mrslady1975 said...

I can not tell you how very happy I am for you and Dave. I cried happy tears when I read your news. I will continue to keep you in my prayers for a happy and healthy 9 months.

PS: I am hoping that I got the "lucky" batch too. ;)

WaterBishop said...

I am just over the moon for you!
I wish you an uneventful pgcy filled with joy.*hugs & high fives*

karenf said...

well honey, you are a brave woman, for posting this so soon, but I understand your excitement, and I feel happy for you!!! I'll keep the good vibes radiating towards your house, and keep you in my thoughts. take it easy and lets go get those pedicures sometime soon. yes- you can do that :o)

Norah said...

Lizzy !!!!!!!!!!! Hooray !!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you : )

kaaron said...

Am so excited and happy for you!!!!!!!!! Best wishes for a H&H 9 months!

Babe* said...

I've congratulated you on LP but not on your blog....

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Words cannot describe how happy I am for you. Tears come to my eyes everytime I see your BFP post. You deserve this.

Happy and Healthy Nine Months!

Barb said...

Oh my GOSH, I can't believe I missed this post!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Janna said...

LIZZY!!!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!