Saturday, January 12, 2008

A better day

The news today is actually good! Well, mostly good, but I don't want to think much about the slight bad news.

To start with, I have 7 possible follicles for retrieval. This is much more than anticipated. I was told I'd be lucky to have 3. 6 of the 7 are all on the left side with Bertha. Only 1 is on the right side. How odd. Anyway, they range from 6.9mm to 11.4mm. They will trigger when they get to about 18-20mm. I start the antagonist suppressant tomorrow and go back Monday for another ultrasound. After that, then we can estimate the day of retrieval.

The bad news is that it looks like Bertha has a cyster. Dr. Farah thinks I've got another endometrioma brewing next to Bertha. Should we name this one? I don't know, but I'm not going to give this much thought until I have to, if that time comes. Right now I'll just focus on the task at hand, getting through this IVF and hopefully with a positive pregnancy test. If it fails, then I'll get a laparoscopy to remove both cysts and the endometriosis before trying again, but for now the focus is on this cycle and on putting some hope out there that the cycle will work and that I won't have to worry about the cysts until a year or two from now, when we want to ttc#2 (or 3).

On another note, a good friend of mine, Corinne, is in pretty bad shape right now and she's been on my mind a lot. She was hit by a car as she crossed the street Thursday afternoon. It was pretty scary on Thursday as she underwent several hours of surgery and suffered cranial damage as well as broken bones and a lot of cuts. She's doing much better today and I'm eager for her to be ready for visitors. I'd love to see her. She's been a pillar of support through this whole process and her friendship is invaluable. Even in her current condition she wants to know everything going on with our IVF cycle. She's amazing and I know with her spirit she will have a better recovery.

1 comment:

karenf said...

call the cyster (clever) Alice. it goes together with bertha